Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Chapter 51: He Treats Me Like a Real Man Should

*REBECCA'S POV*


You all will probably be surprised to hear this, but I'm getting married...for real this time!  It's all spur-of-the-moment (shocker!).  There are no parties, bridesmaids, anything like that, it's just Josh and I professing our love for each other in front of our loved ones.  Simple as that.

"So will you be there?" I am asking Kelsey.
"Of course bro," she replies as if I'm an idiot, "have you talked to Mom?"
"She's still pissed at me and she swears she's not coming, but we'll see." I tell her.
"How many times has Amy called you?" Kelsey asks.
I laugh.  My older sister is a super-control freak and feels like if she doesn't have her hands in things they won't get done, so this wedding is driving her crazy.
"Only about twenty-five times...today." I reply.
"Ha!  Figures." Kelsey laughs.
"Okay, now to important things...what alcohol is going to be there?" Kelsey moves on to booze...of course.
"BYOB, bitches.  We're just bringing a six pack of Miller..." I answer.
"A six pack?  Really?"
Maybe not, "Okay, a 24-pack, but that's all we're doing."
"Yeah, sure..."

Josh comes up behind me as I hang up with Kelsey.


He takes me in his arms and says, "I can't believe we're actually getting married tomorrow."
"Right?  After all we've been through..." I agree.
It's true, we have been through so much, I have dated other people, talked to other people, but no one ever had my heart like Josh.  He is definitely my true love.


This is where we're getting married.  Look familiar?  It's the Butterfly park that we looked at for my wedding that wasn't.  When I saw this place, I instantly wanted to use it, but I'm glad Lukas disagreed.  I don't want any bad memories to haunt me on my wedding day.


I get there and get into my dress...it's a thrift store find.  I guess I should have known that Josh is the one for me.  When I'm with him, I don't need anything else.  I don't need things, I don't get caught up on clothes or being perfect, I can just be...with him.
Honestly, I feel like he and Brody are the only things I need in this world.

Robbie gets here first, miracle of miracles, "Hey sis!  Lookin' good!  We doing this thing for real this time?"
"You're not getting your coffee maker back this time," I joke with him.
"Damn it!  It's a really good one too!" He banters back, "Where is this guy anyway?  I gotta talk to him...make sure his intentions are good."
"His intentions?" I raise my eyebrows, "What are we in 1952? Are you getting a goat and some wheat as dowry for me or something?"
Robbie looks like he's thinking, "Hmm...you know, I hadn't thought of that, but it might be a good idea."
I punch him in the arm, "Hey!"
He laughs loudly and flinches back to avoid my retaliation, "Damn, I hope he realizes he's getting a woman that can defend herself!"
"Trust me, he knows." I tell him.

My family...I'm telling ya'...we're a crazy bunch.

As Robbie walks off looking for who knows what, Poppy walks up to me.
"Well aren't you pretty as a picture..." He says.
"Thank you Papa Bear," I reply blushing.  Poppy doesn't hand out compliments all that much, so one from him is extra special.
"Ole' Lover Boy there ready to take care of my girl?" Poppy asks. 
By Lover Boy he means Josh.  Poppy has names for all our boyfriends.  I've dated Chicken Legs, Brain Freeze, Needle Nose, Casanova, Big Mouth, and now I'm marrying Lover Boy apparently.
I roll my eyes before answering, "Definitely.  I know I'm making the right decision this time."


As I'm talking to Poppy, Josh gets here in his casual khaki suit.  He looks so cute!
You know what's funny?  When I first met Josh, all my friends told me that I was too good for him and that I could have a hotter boyfriend and he always talks about how he doesn't deserve a girlfriend as hot as me, but I don't feel that way.  He's gorgeous, wildly talented, fun to hang out with, he's got the whole package.


Kelsey of course shows up next.  She's got this side-boob showing sexy dress on, guaranteed to make every guy in the place stare at her, but her husband is with her.  It blows my mind that my baby sister got married before I did, but it doesn't matter now because I am.

"Hey, we getting this show on the road?" Kelsey asks me.
"Give everyone a little bit more time," I say, looking at my watch, "We're still early."
"Amazingly," Kelsey says.
"Very true," I agree.  Kelsey and I are perpetually late for everything.  Mom is too, so that's where we get it. Honestly, the only punctual person we have in the family is Amy, and she's only punctual half the time.


The next person to show up is my dad.  Well, I'm glad at least one of my parents is going to be here.
"How you doing honey?" He asks, "Any cold feet this time?"
"Not this time Dad," I tell him, "I am completely ready."


He gives me a hug and says, "Good girl.  I'm really proud of you for knowing what you want and not marrying someone that wasn't going to make you happy."
"Thanks Daddy," I appreciate him saying that, but I can't help but wonder something, "Is Mom coming?"
He pulls away and shakes his head, "I'm sorry hon,"
I can't lie, I am so hurt at my mom, I can't believe she is missing my wedding...I am tempted to call her and beg her to come, but I just want the day to be perfect.  No drama for once.


Amy shows up next with Zoey not far behind.


Then Jake shows up.  About dang time...now I think we're ready to start.


Josh and I get into our positions with our family standing around us and our wedding begins.

We start by singing together, "From This Moment On" originally by Shania Twain and Bryan White.


My sappy sisters are already crying.  Kelsey is even getting teary.  I think my dad is getting a little misty.
I can't look at them because I might cry.  I can't make my makeup run on my wedding day.


Thankfully, the men are keeping their composure.  Robbie, Jake, Eddie, and Terry are just watching calmly, which I prefer. 


Our vows are also sung as well.  Isn't this a unique wedding?  Josh sings "Rebecca Lynn" by Bryan White and changes the lyrics a little to suit me more.  I have always said I would marry the man who sang that song to me.


Then I sing a song I wrote just for him when we were broke up and I was imagining being with him again.


As Josh and I go in for the final kiss, I can hear my dad and Amy talking.
Daddy leans over to Amy, "Are we going to put money on this one?"
"Nah, I think this is it for her," Amy replies.
Well, good.  I'm glad no one is betting against my marriage with Josh!  I might have to give them a beat-down.  Kelsey isn't the only bad-ass sister!


Of course, my brothers have to "talk" to Josh.
"Hey bro," Robbie starts.
Josh casually smiles at him, "Hey man, what's up?"


"We wanted to talk to you, ya' know, since you married our sister," Jake starts.
"Yeah..." Josh urges him to get to his point.
"We want to make sure you take good care of her," Robbie continues.
Josh raises his eyebrows, "Oh, uh, yeah, dude, you know I will."
"Good, cuz if you don't, we'll have to kick your ass," Jake tells him.
Josh tries not to laugh because he can tell Jake is serious, but he is also almost half a foot taller than Jake.  He could easily take him.
In the end, he just puts his hand in Jake's shoulder and says, "Man, I can understand that."


Later, Jake plays a song he wrote for the occasion.

Of course, I hear my catty sisters laughing about it.
"I thought I was coming to a wedding, not a damn musical," Kelsey jokes.
"If they bust out a chorus line, I'm going home," Zoey says.
"Oh shit, I think I see Josh changing into a leotard and a top hat!"  Amy continues.


But Josh and I don't care.  We are married now and I am officially Mrs. Joshua David Walsh.  I know it's old fashioned, but I am so excited to finally be married.

"What now, baby?" He asks me as we dance away.
"I don't know, I guess continue working on our careers..." I reply.
"I don't know if we can do that in Harmony..." Josh starts, "...maybe Starlight Shores?"
"Hmm...maybe."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! Please tell me what you think by leaving a comment! It would make my day! Thanks!