Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Chapter 54: One Step at a Time

*ZOEY'S POV*


As much as I can't wait to tell Amy about my and Terry's engagement, there is someone else I have to tell first, but they're far away, so I have to call.
"Hello?" she answers.


"Moooom!" I greet her.
"Zo-zo!  Hey baby girl, how are you?  You sound happy..." my mom replies.
How do mothers always know?
"I have the best news Mom...Terry proposed!" I just blurt it out.  Mom has met Terry before (I could never marry someone my mother has never met) and she loved him, so I know she'll be thrilled.  Sure enough...
"AHHHHHHHH!" CLUNK!
"Mom?" I ask.
From a distance I hear, "Hold on, don't hang up baby, I'm here...hold on."
Then she returns to normal, "I'm sorry, I just dropped the phone.  That's wonderful!  I can't believe my baby girl is getting married!" Mom continues to gush, "Do you all know when?"
"Not for awhile.  I want a nice long engagement." I tell her.
"Wonderful, that's so great...he's a very good man.  I'm so proud of you." she continues to gush.
I can't help but tear up again, "Thanks Mom...I know he is...and to be honest, I can't believe I'm getting married either."
"Well, I can't imagine anyone more perfect for you," Mom tells me.
We talk for a few more minutes and I tell her that I will keep her update to date with all the plans.


I sigh.  Okay, now it's time to talk to Amy.


*AMY'S POV*


"Oh, listen to this shit," I tell Zoey when she walks in.
"What's up?" She asks.
"So apparently Mac is getting transferred to Bridgeport," I start, "and he asked me if I wanted to go with him, but I don't think there's any way I can...so we're going to try a long-distance thing, and we all know how good those work...so I don't know..."
I ramble for forever while Zoey nods and laughs appropriately.  I have no idea how she puts up with me.
Finally, it occurs to me that I have been going on for forever and I haven't even told her good morning.  Shit.
"How's it going for you today?" I ask her.


She looks at me and smiles like she has a big secret, "Well, actually...I have news..."
"What is it?" I ask her, confused.  I have never seen her act like this before...
"Last night, Terry proposed." she says.

My jaw drops, "And you let me ramble on about my stupid bullshit?  Holy shit!"
She laughs, "it's fine, you're going through stuff..."
"No, it's not...OMG!  You're getting married?!  Ahhhh!"  I get up, jump up and down a bit and give her a hug.
She can't help but laugh at me and I know I'm making a spectacle, but come on, my best friend is getting married...this is huge!


"OMG!  We need to get started...we don't have much time...we get to plan a wedding...and pick out a dress...and find where to have it...and get a florist...and a caterer...and...the bachelorette party...and..." I start rambling.
Zoey sits us both down, "Whoa, calm your crazy...this is not going to be some quick as a flash engagement.  I want plenty of time to plan, get in good enough shape to fit into a dress, really think about exactly what I want..."
"What, like weeks?" I ask.
Zoey shakes her head, "You all...are crazy...no, I'm talking months...months would be much better...so chill your inner planning freak for right now...I really only need one thing from you at this point..."
I look at her curiously, "What's that?  Oh no, you're not pregnant, are you?"
The look Zoey gives me can only be described appropriately if imagining someone that just bit into a cow pie thinking it was a candy bar.
"Are you crazy?  No...I just want to know if you would be my maid of honor."
I hug her again before I can help myself, "Of course!  Eeeek!!!"
She literally peels me off of her, "Okay, as long as you calm the fuck down."


I lean back and compose myself, "Okay, I'm good.  I promise...no more crazy."
"Somehow I don't believe you," Zoey says.

*TERRY'S POV*


After calling my pops, really the only two people I want to tell are Mac and AJ.


As soon as I tell Mac he's excited.
"You know I'll be planning your bachelor party...I hope we can pin AJ down long enough to get him here." Mac tells me.
I can't help but laugh.  AJ is our good buddy - he grew up with us too, but as soon as he hit eighteen he ran out of town and hasn't been back.  I understand though, he's been through some shit.
"The promise of partying and beer?  Oh he'll be here." I tell him.
Mac laughs aloud, "Yeah, I guess you're right...so this is it, huh?  You're going to be the first one of us to bite the bullet."
"Ha, yeah, she's making an honest man out of me," I say.
Mac punch/pats me on the shoulder and laughs, "Congrats bro."
"Thanks man," I tell him and head into the house where Amy is clearing the table from dinner.

She looks up when I walk in and greets me, "Hey."


"Hey," I reply, "can I talk to you for a second?"
"Sure...what's up?" she asks cautiously.
"I just wanted...to say thanks...for being supportive." I tell her.
 She looks at me oddly, "Sure, I'm happy for both of you."
"Yeah," I start, "but I know it hasn't been easy, and I want you to know that I know how you all are and I have no intention of coming between you."


"T, I'm not worried, really...I know you'll be good to her, and that's all that matters to me." she tells me.
I nod in agreement, "I am going to do my very best."


Just when I think we have succeeded in having a nice conversation for once she adds, "and besides, I know if you hurt her I will hunt you down and castrate you with a rusty pocket knife."

"Right." I gulp.  Damn, this girl scares me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! Please tell me what you think by leaving a comment! It would make my day! Thanks!