Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Chapter 35: Now That We Have a House We Can Have Houseguests

*AMY'S POV*


Zoey: Hey, got a question...
Amy: Shoot...
Zoey: Do you think we're doing well enough to start inviting people to the house?
Amy: What do you mean?





Zoey: Well, I talked to my mom today and she's wanting to come for a visit...I've been putting her off because she probably would have stroked out if she saw how we were living when we first got here...
Amy: In sleeping bags on the ground?
Zoey: Or on the park benches...
Amy: Eating out of the library refrigerator...
Zoey: Getting hit by meteors and dying...
Amy: Yeah, house guests would have been a bad idea right then...




Zoey: But I think we're doing okay now...the two of us and Kelsey are at the top of our careers, Rebecca is well on the way...
Amy: ...and she would have been done if she hadn't had her career change...
Rebecca: I heard that biotch!
Amy: Good!

Zoey: Rrright...and the house is actually a house...with beds and stuff...
Amy: ...and plenty of bathrooms...
Zoey: ...Damn...how in the hell did we not starve to death or die?
Rebecca: Speak for yourself!
Zoey: Aw hell...
Amy: *falls out of chair laughing...picks self back up*  Okay, I think we can invite people.

Zoey: Yay!  Good, I'll tell my mom...you know it's been killing me not telling her what's going on.
Amy: I'm amazed you made it this long...
Zoey: Me too... 




*KELSEY'S POV*


Rebecca: Where the hell have you been?
Kelsey: Breaking up with Sedrick...
Rebecca: Oh shit!  Are you okay?

Kelsey: Yeah, I'm fine...he was crying like a damn baby...
Rebecca: Damn, Kels, you made him cry?
Kelsey: Are you kidding?  Bambi made him cry.
Rebecca: *laughs* Holy shit...I'm glad I'm not a dude and dating you...
Kelsey: Right back at you whore.
Rebecca: People skills, Kels, people skills...how are we going to be able to take you out in public?

Kelsey: Just give me a fifth of vodka and I'm good.
Rebecca: Wellll, we're going to have to put that on hold for awhile...
Kelsey: Why?

Rebecca: I just talked to Mom...
Kelsey: Ugh...sorry...
Rebecca: Kels, you're too mean to her, she wants more than anything to have a relationship with you.
Kelsey: *eye roll* Yeah, yeah...so what does she want?
Rebecca: She's coming to visit...
Kelsey: Seriously?
Rebecca: Yeah.
Kelsey: Does Amy know?

Rebecca: I haven't mentioned it to her.  You know how she gets when it comes to Mom.
Kelsey: Yeah...fuck...
Rebecca: Yeah...fuck times infinity...I don't know if I can handle it.

Kelsey: I know I'm getting the hell out of dodge.

*ZOEY'S POV*

I can't express enough how excited I am that my mom's coming here.  It has been way too long and I honestly have no idea how I've kept her away this long.  I knew I had to though.  If she had seen how we were living before, she would have insisted that I come home...and believe me, I wanted to...but I really am glad I stayed.  Anyway, my mom takes the first chance at a trip she can and comes to visit me.


Zoey: Moom!
Rena: There's my baby girl!


Before I can get another word out, she grabs me into probably the biggest hug she has ever given me.


Rena: I missed you so much!  
Zoey: I missed you too Mama!
Rena: You don't know how many times I almost just came here and got you.
Zoey: Yeah, you don't know how many times I contemplated getting a bus ticket home.


That isn't a lie...and I really haven't been lying to her, so much as just not telling her everything, which for a person that usually tells her mom everything was rough as hell...not to mention I talked to her on the phone every day.  Our conversations were always very short.  Like when we first got here:

Rena: How do you like it there?
Zoey: I miss home.
Rena: How's the house you're living in?
Zoey: It's...airy...


If the conversation had been more detailed, it would have ended with me hearing an engine roaring and my mother saying she was on her way...as much as I sometimes dreamed of her doing just that, I wanted to try and do this on my own.  Things got better when I started having books published.  I tried to send copies to my mom, but she insisted on buying them....and I wasn't living close enough to her to slip the money she spent on them back in her pocket...don't think I wouldn't have.


I have to say though, looking at my mom now, I missed her more than I realized.

Rena: So, are you going to show me around?
Zoey: Yeah...you can sleep in my bed upstairs, and Rebecca has a show tomorrow night, so I thought we would go see it...and maybe we can just hang out tonight.  Sound good?
Rena: Whatever you want baby.  I'm just here to see you.



I can't help but hug her again.  At this rate, I don't know if I'm going to let her go back.

*REBECCA'S POV*


For the past few weeks I've basically lost my mind.  Yes, I went back to Richard...and I wasn't there for more than a day before I remembered why I can't stand the asshole.

Richard: Hey, I heard this song today, it made me think of you.
Rebecca: Awww, that's so sweet...
Richard: Yeah, it's called "Bitch Came Back"
Rebecca: Huh?
Richard: Yeah, it went something like...
Rebecca: I don't care how it goes...that is the most insulting thing...
Richard: Lighten up!  It's just a joke!


(THAT'S A REAL SONG.  LISTEN TO IT HERE.)

Yeah...that's just one example.  I feel kind of bad because he really did try not to be an asshole, and part of me thinks he really loves me, but I just don't love him anymore.

I guess the good thing about my relationship with Josh was that he taught me how I should be truly loved.  Before him, I was reeling in nothing but jerks like Richard.  Now I realize I would rather be alone than with an asshole.

Sooo...I still haven't been able to find a new guy...


...but I'm still talking to Josh.  Isn't he so freakin' gorgeous?  I swear, I love him so much, I can't stand it.


Rebecca: I miss you so much...
Josh: I miss you too...

Rebecca: Why didn't we work out?  What happened?
Josh: *sigh* I don't know...I just...felt like I kept letting you down...
Rebecca: What are you talking about?



Josh: What I wouldn't give to kiss you right now...
Rebecca: Why don't you?
Josh: I'm afraid of where it will lead...
Rebecca: What would be wrong with that?
Josh: Bec, I can't give you what you need...
Rebecca: It sounds like you're writing a song or something...
Josh: I don't know, maybe I am...I just don't know what I can do...



Rebecca: Don't think about it...let's just...be together...
Josh: *sigh*
Rebecca: Come on, you're not going to leave me hanging here, are you?

Josh: Let's go upstairs.


Josh: You keep going like this, we're not going to make it upstairs...
Rebecca: What's wrong with that?


LATER...


Josh walks me downstairs...
Rebecca: Well, that was...
Josh: Yeah...God, I love you.
Rebecca: I love you too...does this mean we can stop this madness and get back together?



The look on his face says it all.  I can't understand why, when he says he loves me and we have so much fun while we're together...in bed and otherwise...that we can't just be together.  Why doesn't he want me?

Rebecca: It doesn't change a thing, does it?
Josh: *runs fingers through hair* I'm sorry baby...I just...I have to find myself right now...
Rebecca: Are you kidding me?  You're almost middle aged...you haven't found yourself yet?
Josh: Don't be mad at me...
Rebecca: I'm not mad...I'm fucking pissed...

Josh: Bec...come on...
Rebecca: No...you can't stop telling me how much you love me, yet you don't want us to get back together.  You must not love me that damn much...
Josh: *sigh* maybe you're right...


Even though I'm the one that threw that out there, I'm shocked when I hear him say that...the very words I've been terrified of hearing...

Rebecca: Great.  That's just great.
Josh: Bec!

He's shouting at me as I turn around and walk away.  Let him suffer.



*ZOEY'S POV*


Rena: I have to say, I'm impressed.  You all seem to be doing great.  I have to admit, I was worried you all were sleeping on the ground with no food or money.  *laughs*
Zoey: *choke on air* Haha, uh, yeah...that's funny...see?  You had nothing to worry about.
Rena: I can see that now.  I'm so proud of you.  You've really made it.
Zoey: Thanks mom...that means a lot...we have come a long way...



Rena: Yeah, and Rebecca even had a baby in the middle of all the crazy.
Zoey: Yeah...
Rena: He's a cutie though...and really smart...
Zoey: Yeah...
Rena: I bet their mother is happy...making her a grandmother...
Zoey: Uh-huh...
Rena: I wonder what that would be like...



Aw hell...


*KELSEY'S POV*


Tonight Rebecca is really on her game...of course I'm half paying attention to her and half paying attention to the hot guy that just walked in...mm-mm-mm...uh...anyway...

Yeah, I think I'm really happy being single...I don't need any man right now...I'm going to enjoy my youth while I have it.

*REBECCA'S POV*


If Kelsey doesn't stop eyeing men and start watching me perform, I'm going to take this microphone and throw it at her...

I'm performing like I've never performed before and honestly, I think it's because I don't have the distraction of thinking about Josh.  I think I'm finally really over him...really, really.


*ZOEY'S POV*


Today is a sad day...my mom is going back home, so we're eating breakfast together...having her here has been a blast...I'm really sad to see her go.


Rena: I've had such a good time with you all...I think y'all have knocked a few years off for me.
Zoey: Ha, I think our good times are making me old before my time, but I guess to each his own...
Rena: Nah, you have fun while you can.  One day you'll have kids, maybe a husband.
Zoey: Ha!
Rena: Okay, maybe just kids...
Zoey: That's more like it...
Rena: ...but anyway, you'll be settled and look back on these times...
Zoey: ...and wonder how I got out of them alive?
Rena: Haha!  Probably, probably...but you'll look back on these times when they're over and miss them.



Zoey: I don't know, Kelsey will probably always be like this...I can just come visit her...
Rena: Ha!  Yeah, you're probably right...she's a wild one...

Zoey: So you don't want me to settle down right away?
Rena: I want you to do whatever you want to do with your life.  You've already got your career established, the rest will fall into place.

Zoey: I'm not so sure about that...
Rena: Don't worry so much about it...it'll happen for you.

Zoey: Thanks Ma...
Rena: No problem baby...now, where's the bill...it's my treat.


Zoey: Nuh-uh...your money's no good here...
Rena: I'm just going to slap it down on the table...
Zoey: You'll find it in your back pocket if you do...
Rena: Uh-huh...two can play at that game little girl.  I haven't been able to take care of you for so long, I want to...
Zoey: Nuh-uh...not falling for that one!



Rena: *sigh* Okay, I guess you win.  I've got to be getting on the road...
Zoey: *sad face* Okay Mom...*exaggerated sniffle*



Rena: I'm going to miss my baby girl though.
Zoey: Me too Mama.


As much as I hate it, I walk her to her car, get her in, give her another quick hug, and put the money she put on the table behind my back into her purse.

*AMY'S POV*


When Zoey gets home from breakfast with her mom, she has a look on her face like she's thinking about something...
Amy: How was breakfast?
Zoey: Good...sad...but good...*sigh*
Amy: Everything seemed to go well...
Zoey: Yeah...just...having her here has me thinking...
Amy: About what?
Zoey: I kind of got a little guilt-trip about not having children yet....
Amy: Damn, seriously?  How'd that come up?
Zoey: The usual...wants to be a grandmother stuff...
Amy: That's crazy...



Zoey: Is it?  How crazy is it, really?  I mean, we've made it to the top of our careers, we don't have to struggle as much anymore...and we're plenty old enough...
Amy: Yeah...I think we're past the age where people would be shocked if we got knocked up...
Zoey: Exactly...
Amy: So what are you saying?  Don't we need men to have children?
Zoey: Not really...that's what they have sperm banks for.
Amy: Hmm...well...I guess maybe it makes sense...are we ready to give up all the crazy?
Zoey: *raise eyebrow* are you kidding?  My liver has been screaming at me to quit the crazy for months now.
Amy: Huh, yeah, mine too...so what do you think we should do?
Zoey: I think we should go to the hospital and see what it would take to become artificially inseminated.  We can just raise our kids together.
Amy: That would be cool...not having to wait to find a man...

Zoey: Yeah, and our kids can grow up together, you never know, they might even fall in love and get married.
Amy: Hahaha, yeah, sure...I think the most we can hope for is my kid royally corrupting yours...
Zoey: God, I hope I have a quiet kid...I don't know what I'd do with a loud one...
Amy: Or one of those princess-y types...
Zoey: Oh God...I would be so lost...you'd have to take her shopping...
Amy: Screw that, we'd have to get Rebecca to do it...
Zoey: *Sigh*  So we're really going to go and check it out?
Amy: I'm game if you are.
Zoey: Shit, this is freaking me out a little bit.
Amy: Yeah...me too...  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! Please tell me what you think by leaving a comment! It would make my day! Thanks!