Friday, December 14, 2012

Chapter 67: Living in Boredom Acres

*ZOEY'S POV*


Hey, here I am in Butterfly Acres...and they should call it Boredom Acres.

Every day is pretty much the same.  Terry goes to work; I stay home, write, and talk to Pops; then we get together and go to see a movie at the half-off theater - which plays movies that have been out on DVD for about three years.

Terry loves it.


Then we hit the local bar for a drink.  I've never been a big fan of bars, but in order to get to a dance club we either have to drive all the way back to Harmony, or maybe go to Bridgeport...and I hate Bridgeport.  Ugh.


Sometimes we'll switch it up and have dinner at the bar as well.
"So what did you do today?" I ask.
"Hmm, mostly paper work...two parking tickets, a few vandals, one public intoxication..." he rambles.
"Yeah, sorry about that." I joke.
He laughs, "Vi, you crack me up."
He puts his hand over mine and looks at me with those kind, loving eyes and I remember why I'm here.

I never thought of myself as a woman that needs a man...but I need this man.

Damn it, I sound like a Hallmark card...which is why it is time to put my plan into action.

"I have to go to the restroom...be right back." I tell him.


I get into the bathroom and call AJ.
"Yup?" He answers.
"Hey, it's Zoey," I tell him.
"Yeah, what's up?" He asks, obviously with his mouth full of what I hope is food.
I roll my eyes, "How is she?"
"Not much better.  She has been laying on the couch watching Lifetime movies for the past two weeks." he informs me.
"Shit," I say.
"Tell me about it," he starts, "every time I walk through there I'm afraid I'm going to get my period."
I roll my eyes again and understand why Amy frequently wants to back-hand this boy.
"Well, she hasn't answered her phone in forever...can I talk to her?" I ask.

I hear groaning and shuffling before I hear him say, "Hey, Zoey wants to talk to you."
"I don't want to talk to anyone...hey...quit...hey Z," her voice gets slowly louder until she greets me.
I laugh.
She is still talking to AJ. "Okay, I've got it, you don't have to hold it to my face."
I hear him in the background, "Aww, baby, that's what you said last night."

SLAP!
"OUCH!" AJ yells, "Okay, damn...it was a joke."


"Hey Z," Amy repeats after apparently killing AJ.  
"Do you need my help to get rid of the body?" I ask her jokingly.
She chuckles, "Don't tempt me."
"So how's everything going?" I ask her even though I already know the answer.
"I'm okay.  Just tired." She replies.
"Tired" for Amy is code for "Barely able to lift my head but I'm not going to say anything because I enjoy suffering in silence."
"Well, hey, you know what you could do?" I ask, "You could move here."
She laughs, "So I can look at fields and cows?  That should cheer me right up."
"Hey, we'll build you a house on that land Terry wants to buy eventually.  It's so pretty up there." I tell her.
She laughs again.


"You think I'm kidding, but I'm 100% serious," I tell her.
"Yeah, okay," she says.
"It's either that or I'm going to have to get a divorce and move back there.  I don't think I can live this far away from you much longer," I confess.
"Yeah, I agree with that," she says, "I'm having bff withdrawal."
"Okay then, you should really just move here," I say.
"Yeah, I'll think about it," she says.
"I'll let you go so you can pack," I tell her.

I swear, I'm going to get that girl here one way or another.


As great as it is living here with Pops, I can't wait to get out of here into our house, which is currently being built.


"What are you doing there girl?" Pops asks me.
"Working on the house plans...should we build you a room?" I ask.
"Nah, but you should have plenty of room for all those grandchildren you're going to give me," he says.


That makes me want to choke.  
What is with these men and their inability to understand the phrase, "I want one child."

Oh well, I don't say anything and just hope Amy can get here and have her dozen or so illegitimate children to pacify him.  Surely that will do it.

Another couple weeks go by when Terry gets home from work hyped up on something.

"Vi!  Vi!  Come here!  Hurry!" He yells through the house.

"What has got you so worked up?" I ask him.

"It's done!" He says.

I look at him confused, "What's done?"

"The house!  Come on!" he exclaims.

I can't help but be excited as well.  I have been waiting to move into our house for what seems like forever and now it's done?!

Eeeek!

He blindfolds me and walks me up the street where the house is.
"Is this really necessary?" I ask.
He ignores me and we stop walking, "Okay, open!"


I could not have been prepared for the amount of gorgeous that stands in front of me.  I am amazed.  This is mine?


Here it is.  Isn't it gorgeous?

"What do you think Vi?" Terry asks.
"I-I-I'm...it's...wh-..." is all I can manage.


Terry looks at me and the house smugly before laughing out loud, "Yeah, I'm definitely getting laid tonight."





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! Please tell me what you think by leaving a comment! It would make my day! Thanks!