Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Chapter 9: I Don't Know, Asker!

*REBECCA'S POV*


Things have been going remarkably well lately.  We each have a bed now...they're cheap but much better than sleeping on the floor.

We are all officially working now, and Kelsey and I just got promoted in our jobs!  I'm pretty excited, I gotta admit...

And to celebrate, Amy makes me sushi for dinner!  I LOVE sushi...Kelsey's favorite food is french toast and Amy just told her she's out of luck because she can't make that yet.  Haha.


We also build another bathroom upstairs...with a top of the line shower and tub!  Yay!  No more freezing cold showers and sharing one bathroom with four people!

Bad news though...our bills went up to $101...how in the hell did that happen?  We don't even have windows!

**********

*KELSEY'S POV*


As I'm getting home tonight I see this little dog in our front yard.

Kelsey: Hey little guy...are you lost?
Dog: wimper, wimper



Kelsey: Awww, can I check you for a collar?
Dog: wimper, wimper, wimper.

I take that as a yes.


Kelsey: Awwww, you're such a cute little guy...oh wait, you're a little girl, aren't you?
Dog: wimper, wimper.

She looks so sad...I don't see a collar and she's so skinny.  I can see her rib cage.

Amy: KELSEY!  DINNER!
Kelsey: I'm coming...


Kelsey: Don't worry sweetie, I'll be back with some food...don't go anywhere.

I give her some crackers I have in my pocket and she eats them quickly.  I'm sure she hasn't eaten in awhile.


She licks my face in appreciation.
Kelsey: You're welcome honey.



My heart goes out to this little dog.  I can relate to being hungry and having no place to go.
She looks up at me with the saddest expression ever.

I have the best idea...we should take her in.

**********

*AMY'S POV*


Kelsey comes running in like she has a bus to catch.

Amy: Where have you been?
Kelsey: Outside...there's a little dog out there...she's so small and helpless and hungry.  I feel so bad for her.
Zoey: Aww shit, I can see where this is going...


Yeah, I know exactly where this is going...she has been doing this since she was a little girl...dragging little animals in and begging our parents to keep them.  

She has the biggest heart when it comes to animals.  That's one thing I admire about her.

Amy: We need to take it to the pound...
Kelsey: *pout* Why can't we keep her?


Even though Kelsey is wise beyond her years and quite frequently acts much older than she is, sometimes she says or does something that reminds me that she is barely out of her teen years.  This looks like it's shaping up to be one of those times.

Amy: Kelsey, we can barely take care of ourselves...how are we going to take care of a dog?
Kelsey: I can...I'll pay for everything...

Zoey: ...and that means a whole lot considering we pool all our money together...

Kelsey: Pleeeeassssee Sissy!  *sad face, puppy dog eyes*

Damn it.

Rebecca: Is she cute?
Kelsey: Come on, I'll show you...

The two of them run out the door and then I hear...

Rebecca: Awwwww, Sis, she's adorable!  Come look!  You guys will LOVE her!


Shit.

I look at Zoey.
Amy: Why do I feel like we're going to lose this argument?
Zoey: I ain't goin' out there.
Amy: Yeah, good idea, we should stand strong.


**********

*ZOEY'S POV*

Stand strong?  Stand strong my big toe...


Kelsey comes back in with just about the saddest look she could probably come up with stretched across her face...big alligator tears on the verge of rolling down her face.

Aww crap.

Kelsey: Sissy, Zoey, can we please keep the dog?  She's so cute...and she's old...the animal shelter will probably kill her.

Amy was looking down, but as soon as she looks up she sees Kelsey's face, which decides that exact moment is a great time to release one of the wells of tears her eyes have been holding.


Shit, shit, mother...yeah, we're so getting a dog.


Amy looks over at me.

Amy: What do you think?

Zoey: Here's my issue...are we sure we can care for her?  We're struggling as it is and sometimes we go without food...
Rebecca: *walks up behind Kelsey* ...but not so much anymore.
Zoey: Yeah...but...

I look around and see that even though Amy is still on the fence, she can be easily swayed because she usually does whatever she can to make people happy and both Kelsey and Rebecca are standing there excitedly, like children waiting in line to see Santa.


Zoey: Eh, why not?

Kelsey and Rebecca both jump up and down and hug both of us, then Kelsey runs outside to be with her new dog.



I have to admit, she is cute...and I haven't seen Kelsey this happy since we got here.

**********

*KELSEY'S POV*



Kelsey: Did you hear that?  You have a new home, Asker!
Zoey: Asker?
Kelsey: Yeah, like "What's her name?"  "I don't know, Asker."


Zoey: Oh...well damn...
Amy: It takes a true talent to be a smart ass at the completely unexpected times.
Rebecca: A smart ass is a terrible thing to waste...hey...what kind of collar are we going to get her?  Can we get a pink one?

Kelsey: No way!  We're getting a yellow one.
Zoey: Why yellow?
Kelsey: It's the only one I can see...
Amy: He-he-he...
Kelsey: Screw you all!



I'm not really mad though...Asker nuzzles her nose closer to me and I know we will be able to make a good home for her.


Of course when we get her inside, Bec starts playing with her and lets out a scream.

Kelsey: What?
Rebecca: She has bugs on her!
Amy: Ewwwww.  She needs a flea bath.


Rebecca: Not it.
Zoey: Not it.

Amy: Not it.

Kelsey: I'm going to do it, bitches.  I told you I would take care of her and I will.



So I give Asker a bath in the tub...twice before the fleas are gone for good...and then we go to bed.



She snuggles in next to me and we both go to sleep.


...Of course, the next morning she wakes me up...bright. and. early.

3 comments:

  1. Asker, lol! She's so cute and it was sweet of the women to take the dog in even in their time of need.

    ~Calista Smith

    ReplyDelete
  2. Asker... Yellow collar, dang, Kelsey never ceases to make me laugh. I agree with Calista, it was so sweet and adorable. :3

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Cat: Hehe, yeah, she was wondering around outside so they had to take her in!

    @Amanda: I know, right? She's a character isn't she? LOL I liked writing about Kelsey's softer side.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Please tell me what you think by leaving a comment! It would make my day! Thanks!