Monday, February 27, 2012

Chapter 23: There are Benefits to Being a Lazy Bum

*KELSEY'S POV*


This spoon keeps getting closer, and closer to my face...what's up with that?
Splash!
Oh...that's it...face right in the cereal bowl...grrrreat.

This is not going to be a good day.

"Did you get any sleep last night?" Amy asks.
"That's a negative...did you?" I reply.
"No, but I don't have a day job.  I plan on sleeping all day," she replies.

"Screw you," I answer.
"So angry," Zoey says as she shuffles through.

"We have to stop going out like this...what was it, the third night in a row?" Amy asks.

"We're getting too old for this," Zoey says as her dragging feet make it to her bedroom.  She walks in and shuts the door.


"Where did you go off to last night?" I ask Rebecca as she walks in.
"I told you," she starts, "I was at Richard's."
I just nod.  Amy says nothing.
"And by 'at' I mean banging...just for those of us joining this conversation from the short bus." she continues.
"Point received and understood," Amy says.
"Should I be concerned that Richard made me go home?"  Bec asks.

Without missing a beat, Amy and I say, "Yes."

"So you don't think that maybe he just...?" she starts.

"No."
"Well shit," she says.

We finish eating in silence, then everyone goes to sleep but me.  I honestly have no idea how I'm going to function today.


I have a half an hour before I have to leave for work...just enough time for a power nap.
Just as I get comfy and drift off, something startles me awake.

SQUEAK...SQUEAK...SQUEAK SQUEAK!
SQUEAKSQUEAKSQUEAKSQUEAKSQUEAKSQUEAKSQUEAK!


"What the hell?"
I look down and Asker is staring up at me.  Laying beside her is the culprit...her squeaky bone.  Oooh...I might just go off.  I don't want to, but I might not be able to control myself.


Ugh.  It's a good thing you're so cute.


So since my power nap is a bust, I head into work...Kelsey Keagan, here to serve and protect...and hopefully not pass out.

*REBECCA'S POV*


I wake up thinking about Richard.  Maybe I should call him.  Even though he seems like an asshole, I think he's a really good guy.  He has a good job, he makes good money, and he's hot....surely he can't be that much of an asshole, right?


I really do like him...and he's a lot of fun when he's not being a jerk.  He lives right on the water in a nice house that he pretty much built himself...

Interrupting my thoughts is Asker.  She's whining at the door.

"What is it girl?" I ask.

Crap, I'm losing it, what's she gonna tell me?  'Timmy's caught in a well, Bec!'
Damn.


I follow her downstairs and realize what she wants.  Her food bowl is completely empty.
"Ahh, I see," I say, "No one else could be bothered to feed you this morning, huh?  Just remember I'm the only one who doesn't suck.  Really remember that next time you get a craving for someone's shoes."


Even though I got a little sleep earlier, I lay down on the couch to catch a few more winks...I'm so tired, I don't understand it.


I better not be getting sick...ugh...either way, I head off to work...at least I enjoy what I do...as long as I don't pass out and fall on my bass player or something...

A COUPLE HOURS LATER...

*ZOEY'S POV*

I have every intention of sleeping all day, but unfortunately I have to go to the hospital and entertain sick kids.  I go into Amy's room to look for a clean shirt (laundry day came and went without a notice from me) and my phone rings.


It's the Irish Green - that pub we went to - they want me to pick up a shift for them a few hours one night.  What was that about wanting to back off the nightlife?  Damn it...they keep sucking us in!


Ugh...either way...I'm off to entertain sick kids...how, I don't know...my books aren't exactly kid friendly...unless children want to hear some epic, sometimes tragic love stories with steamy sex scenes in them.  Shit, that's probably exactly what they want to hear...but I better not...I don't need any calls from parents.

A FEW HOURS LATER...

*AMY'S POV*


I wake up to the sound of a bell...or something....what the hell is that?


It's a text message from Zoey:
I'm starving.  I think I know why these children are sick...they don't feed them.  I was expecting a pizza party or something...

I text back:
Eeek...bummer...I'll have dinner ready when u get home, k?


Of course, then I get a call from Rebecca...she's between sets.

"I think I'm getting sick," she says, "I am so tired I can't even think straight, let alone sing.  I think I just accidentally sang "Crazy" to the tune of "Blue"

All I can do is say, "Damn, that's rough."


As soon as I get off the phone with Bec, I get another text...this time from Kelsey:
I'm effin' exhausted...sick of work...


There are definite benefits to waking up at 3 in the afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! Please tell me what you think by leaving a comment! It would make my day! Thanks!