Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Chapter 25: Hey Little Sister

*AMY'S POV*


My knees are shaking and I don't know what to say, but I know no matter how out of sorts I'm feeling, she has to be feeling much worse.


Looking at her stomach now, I don't know how I missed it.  There's definitely something growing on her normally flat stomach.
"Sis, I'm scared," she says, "I'm not ready for a baby."

I sigh and prepare myself to say that thing that no one really thinks they would ever think about until they're in this situation.  I'm pretty sure I know the answer, but I want to let her know that I'm going to support her no matter what her decision is.
"You know, you don't have to have it." I tell her quietly.
She looks up at me astonished, "I could never do that...ever..."
"There's always adoption," I suggest, even though I pretty much know that answer too.
"I don't think I could do that either...I don't know..." she says and starts tearing up again.

Even though I'm surprised she can't hear the shaking in my voice, I make the decision right then to be nothing but supportive.  I know this is going to be difficult, but we'll manage...I'm not sure how, but hell, we brought her back from the dead...how hard can raising a kid be? (Pause for laughter)

"It's going to be okay hon," I tell her, "we'll work it out."
"Do you hate me?" she asks with fear in her voice.
"Of course not," I reply, "why would I hate you?"
"Because I'm young and not ready...and I was so stupid...and..." she rattles off all these things that she's most likely thinking about herself.
"Becca, none of that stuff matters to me - you should know that by now," I reassure her.
I figure she's berating herself more than I ever could.

Suddenly remembering something, she looks at me and asks, "What about Richard?"
"You're going to have to tell him," I say, "this is his baby too."
"He's going to be so mad at me," she says aloud, more to herself than to me.
"If he is, he's an asshole," I reply, "and if he gives you too much crap, we'll sic Kelsey on him."
She laughs.  "Oh, God, what if he wants the baby to have his last name?"
"What is it?" I ask.
"Stouki."
"Eeek...let's stay with Keagan."


To reassure her more, I put my hand on her stomach.
"Aww, Becca, you're a Mama," I say.
"I'm going to have a baby before you," she says.
Even though it cuts a bit because I want to be a mother more than anything and sometimes I fear that it will never happen, I don't say a word.  I know she doesn't intentionally mean to hurt me, and right now is not about me anyway.  If having a baby before me makes her feel a little better about the whole situation, I'll gladly let her have that one.


I look up at her and smile, assuring her once again, "This is a good thing, I'm sure of it."
"Hey sis?" she asks.
"Yeah?"
"Do you think you can make spaghetti tonight?  I've kind of been craving it."
"No problem."


I think she walks away feeling a little better about the situation...so at least I've accomplished what I tried to.


Now that she's gone I can focus on worrying.
How are we going to do this?

*KELSEY'S POV*


Something is up.  I don't know what it is, but Amy and Rebecca have been acting weird since I got home from work.  As soon as I walk in the door, Amy tells me not to make plans, that she's making dinner.

"So what's going on?" I ask as I sit down.
"Let's eat and we'll talk then." Amy says.
"Screw you dudes," I tell them, "Secrets don't make friends."
"Yeah, but sisters makes secrets, so sit down and shut the hell up," Rebecca says.

"Damn bossy!" I accuse, but sit down...she seems a little scary today.


"Okay y'all, family meeting," Amy says as we finish up eating, "Bec?"
Bec is still eating and she mumbles something...
"What?" I ask, "Can you speak up?"

She sighs and looks up, "I'm pregnant."


The expression on Zoey's face pretty much says it all.


"You're not serious?" I ask, quite shocked myself.
"Yeah, I am, and thanks for being supportive," Rebecca

"What do you expect me to say?  Who's the daddy?" I ask.

"Richard...he's the only guy I've been with lately...which is more than you can say." Rebecca replies.
"Really?  Well, I didn't get knocked up, did I?"


"Damn Kels, you don't have to be so hard on her," Amy says.
"Whatever," I say, "I'm gonna get a drink."
"Stop being so melodramatic," replies Amy.


*ZOEY'S POV*

After Kelsey leaves for her room...or to go run over a small child or something, I feel bad for Rebecca sitting at the table, obviously upset by what Kelsey was saying.  I'm not particularly thrilled about it all, but what can I do?


"Hey Bec, it's gonna be ok," I try to reassure her.
"Yeah, I know..." she replies, though not very convincingly.

"I have to go," Rebecca says.
"Where are you going?" Amy asks.
"To meet Richard.  I have to tell him..." she answers warily as she leaves.


As Rebecca leaves, I hear Amy behind me...first, she gives out a huge sigh.
"Coffee?" she asks.
"Please," I reply.



Looking at my best friend, I know she's got more on her mind than she's saying.

Zoey: You okay?
Amy: Yeah.
Zoey: Liar.
Amy: I don't guess it really matters.
Zoey: Yes it does.
Amy: Okay, fine.  This is hard.
Zoey: Yeah...I don't know how we're going to handle having a baby in the house.
Amy: I'm sure it'll be fine.


Zoey: That's not it, is it?
Amy: *sigh* I don't know...it's selfish...
Zoey: I don't care if it is.
Amy: I feel stupid feeling this way...but knowing Rebecca is having a kid...I just worry.
Zoey: About what?
Amy: That I'll never have any kids...I know it's stupid...and her having a kid has nothing to do with me...
Zoey: Yeah...
Amy: ...and she didn't do it to hurt me...but I've just been thinking about it...
Zoey: Having kids?
Amy: Yeah...I was thinking...maybe I should try to have one.



Zoey: Um...okay...
Amy: I know it's nuts and I'm not ready...but I'm also not getting any younger...what if I miss my chance?
Zoey: You won't.
Amy: What if I can't have any?  It's not like I haven't been doing the leg work.
Zoey: You are probably more fertile than you realize.
Amy: I don't know...but it just sucks...as soon as I start thinking about seriously having a baby, my sister gets pregnant...it just...really sucks...but either way...she's going to need me, so I know I have to put my feelings on the back burner.
Zoey: Well, consider me your back burner.
Amy: Thanks for being an awesome friend.
Zoey: No problem.

*REBECCA'S POV*

Telling my sisters is cake compared to telling Richard.  I'm so afraid he's going to be mad at me...I call him and tell him to meet me in front of the book store on his part of town.  I figure in a public setting, he can't kill me.


Richard: Hey, someone's getting a little pudgy.
Rebecca: What?
Richard: Maybe it's time to do a little cardio.


Normally that would piss me off, but in my current state...
Rebecca: Um...that's not really it...I have to tell you something...I'm pregnant.
Richard: With who's kid?
Rebecca: Uh...yours.


Richard: What the fuck?!  Is this some ploy?
Rebecca: What?  No!  It just happened...why the hell would this be a ploy?
Richard: To get me to take care of you.  Women do that, ya' know.


Rebecca: Look guy, I don't need you.  If you want to be a part of this child's life, that's fine, but I can do this on my own...and if you don't want to be there for us, than you can just leave.


Richard: Hold on a second.  I'm not that type of guy...that walks out on his kid...
Rebecca: Yeah, well, you can be a part of the kid's life if you want...I won't keep you from it.
Richard: Look...this isn't exactly how I envisioned becoming a father, but maybe we can do this...
Rebecca: We?
Richard: Yeah, maybe we can be a family.
Rebecca: Really?


Richard: Yeah sure, why not.  We can do it, can't we little guy?
I can't help but laugh.
Rebecca: What makes you so sure it's a boy?
Richard: I guess I'm just hoping.

For the first time, I feel a lot better about this whole situation.

Richard goes home, I go inside and buy a baby book, then I decide to head to a store and do some shopping for better maternity clothes.



I also buy a high chair at the thrift store.  Isn't this cute?

Of course, Kelsey has to open her big mouth.
Kelsey: Putting the high chair right next to the bar...nice parenting.
Rebecca: What the hell is wrong with you?  It's not like I got pregnant to piss you off.
Kelsey: Yeah, well, I guess it's just a perk.

Ugh, I don't have time to figure out why she's so pissed off...


We dipped into our savings to work on building a nursery right off my room.

1 comment:

  1. Loving the latest posts. Sorry for not reading before I didn't realise you had posted the *looks sheepish* I've forgotten to check till I saw a status.... very sorry. I look forward to seeing Becca's baby and just how everyone is affected by it especially now they seem to be doing pretty well, the house is looking pretty good actually.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Please tell me what you think by leaving a comment! It would make my day! Thanks!