Monday, March 26, 2012

Chapter 30 Part 3: Maybe You're Not Seeing the Side of Me You Should


*ZOEY'S POV*

I had to end things with Seth for good this time.  We aren't going anywhere, we want different things, the list goes on and on.

Amy has been gone a lot lately, and I'm assuming she's hanging out with her new boyfriend, which is good, even though I miss having her around.

One day, I get a text from her asking to meet me in the coffee shop.
When I get there, she's already drinking a cup.


Zoey: What's going on?
Amy: Sit down.
Zoey: Again I ask...
Amy: Can you please just sit down?
Zoey: Oh crap, is this an 'are you sitting' situation?
Amy doesn't say anything.  Shit.  I sit down.


Zoey: Okay, what's up?

Amy waits for me to finish sipping my coffee before responding.

Amy: Okay...so...you're not going to like this...remember when I slept with Brent?
Zoey: Yeah...
Amy: We didn't use anything...
Zoey: Aw shit...do we need to go to the clinic?
Amy: Um...maybe, but that's not my main concern right now...
Zoey: What is it?
Amy: I'm pregnant.
Zoey: *silent shock*  *screaming on the inside*
Amy: Are you okay?
Zoey: *still screaming on the inside* Uh...yeah...what are you going to do?
Amy: I don't know...at first I thought it would be okay because he seemed to really like me, but as time goes by, he gets more and more distant.  Do you think I really screwed up sleeping with him so quickly?
Zoey: No...at least I don't think so...


Amy has been really weird with this guy...I've never seen her like this...at first she didn't like him at all, than she as ambivalent to the whole thing, now she really does like him...and the transitions happened so quickly, I couldn't keep up.

Zoey: Well...either way, it doesn't really matter now, does it?  You're pregnant.  Are you going to tell him?
Amy: I want to...I feel like I have to...that's the right thing to do, right?


Zoey: Eh, I don't think you have to...
Amy: He would probably be a good dad...
Zoey: Why?  Because he can take care of his dog?  Amy, from what you've told me, he seems kind of shady...you don't have to tell him.


Amy: Here's the thing, even though I won't have a problem lying to him, I don't want to lie to my child.  They have a right to know who their father is.
Zoey: Debatable...
Amy: You know it's true...
Zoey: Yeah, look...I have a different take on it...I never really had my dad in the picture...
Amy: ...and I did and I'm the one with the daddy issues...maybe you're right...
Zoey: Hell, what do I know?  Maybe we both have daddy issues...
Amy: So what's the verdict?  Call?
Zoey: I guess.


Amy: Okay, I'm going to call him...

I watch her dial the phone and hope that everything will go okay for her.  I know she will be fine with or without him, we'll make sure of that, but what I'm not so sure about is how long it will take to get from 'Holy crap, my life really sucks' to 'I can deal with this'...and just how much she is going to have to go through between the two states of being.


He has picked up because her expression has changed, but then a look of shock comes across her face.

*AMY'S POV*


Woman's voice: Hello?  Who is this?
Amy: I'm sorry...I'm looking for Brent...do you know where he is?
Woman: Oh, he's out right now getting us some dinner...can I help you with something?
Amy: No message...I'll just talk to him later.

As soon as I get off the phone, I can't breathe.  I think I'm having an anxiety attack...

Amy: That was some chick...why did some chick answer his phone?
Zoey: Um...
Amy: Well, he has friends who are girls...maybe it was one of them..
Zoey: Maybe...


I get on my computer and on Facebook...my heart stops.
I don't even have to look hard...there are pictures of him...with another girl...tagged by the girl's mother...
Amy: Maybe they're just friends?
Zoey is silent.

I look on her page.  Her name is Kahleilah Qualls...what the hell kind of name is that?
She has a picture of the two of them on her front page...looking awfully close.
I turn to Zoey.

Amy: Do they look like they're a couple?  Or just friends?

The look in her face tells me enough.

I look further on her page...they became friends only recently...what the hell?

I know we hadn't figured out exactly what we were doing, but I thought we were still working it out...I certainly didn't think he had already decided to cut and run.

I keep looking and find where she works.
Amy: She works in the winery near Richard's house...I know where that is...
Zoey: *softly* Amy...
Amy: I'm not going to cause a scene, I just want to see this chick.
Zoey: Do you want me to go with you?
Amy: No...
Zoey: Okay.


By the time I get there, night has fallen.  What kind of bitch works at a winery?  I'm probably going to hate her.

I walk in and hear the same voice I heard on the phone.


Kahleilah: Can I help you?

She's beautiful...she has piercing eyes, dark hair...this must be what he wants...not me...he never wanted me...she's so much prettier than I am.

Amy: Um...well...uh...I can't really drink right now...cuz...baby...
Kahleilah: *laughs* Oh, of course...well, are you looking for something for after the baby is born?  Or for the baby shower?  Maybe something for the daddy?

Her words feel like a knife stabbing through my body to my heart.

Amy: Yeah, the daddy...
Kahleilah: Ugh, men, right?  *laughs* I just started dating this guy...everything is great right now, but I can only imagine how it's going to end up...
Amy: Use a condom...*shit*
Kahleilah: Excuse me?
Amy: Nothing, I'm sorry, this was a bad idea...I need to go.


My head is pounding and my ears have a ringing in them that is so loud, I can barely hear anything.  My heart feels like it's about to explode and I can't breathe...
My mouth is so dry I feel like I could rent it out as a dish-drying towel in a restaurant.  

I just make it outside before I break down.  What am I going to do?

2 comments:

  1. Stupid males. You should have known when he was so eager. Stupid man.

    Lovely post. Poor Amy.

    -Skye

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Skye! I feel bad for Amy too...she's definitely going through a hard time.

      Delete

Thanks for reading! Please tell me what you think by leaving a comment! It would make my day! Thanks!