Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Chapter 42 Part 1: Here's to the Night

*KELSEY'S POV*


EDMUND: You're going to love this place, I'm sure of it.
KELSEY: Hold on there, cowboy.  I told you I would just look...I don't know about all this loving...it's still just an apartment.
EDMUND: It's more like a condo.  It's got two levels, three bedrooms...just trust me.
KELSEY: Oh, I do...just remember that I'm picky.
EDMUND: I know...I'm used to you.


I walk into the brownstone Edmund found for us with every intention to hate it.  Of course I'm going to hate it...it's nothing like where we're living now....

...but it's beautiful...


The first thing I see is the living room...it's a little cold, but not too cold...
EDMUND: We can change things if you want...get a flat screen...stuff like that.
KELSEY: Yeah...


Off to the side is a study area, a dining area, a kitchen, and I think a door to a bathroom.


The kitchen is a little small, but do I cook?  Hell to the no...


The little desk is so cute...oh man...


The downstairs bathroom is full...

The upstairs is just as awesome.  There's another bathroom and three bedrooms...I can even fix one for Brody when he comes and stays...oh man...


EDMUND: What do you think honey?  Can we call this home?


In response I kiss him...


KELSEY: This place is amazing...
EDMUND: I told you...so...what do you think we should do?
KELSEY: *sigh* Let's get it.

My sisters are going to kill me.

*ZOEY'S POV*


The house is too damn full of people, so I had to escape to the coffee shop for a little bit.  I get up to order another coffee when I hear a familiar voice.


TERRY: Well, hey there, Vi!

Vi?  He doesn't remember my name...good ga-...oh well, I'm not going to correct him.

ZOEY: Uh, hey!  How are you?
TERRY: I'm okay...just need a good dose of coffee.  How about you?  What are you up to?


ZOEY: Not much really...just reading...getting out of the house for a change.
TERRY: Yeah, I hear that...Kelsey tells me you're a writer?
ZOEY: Yeah...you probably haven't heard of anything I've written...
*Obviously since you don't know my damn name*

TERRY: I bought a couple actually...they were sold out of the others at the store...maybe you can sign them for me one day?
ZOEY: Uh...sure...
*Notice they didn't have "Vi" on them anywhere, dude?*


TERRY: That would be great.
*There's that smile again...damn*
ZOEY: No problem...so...how are things...?
TERRY: At the station?  Eh, they're ok.  I think the guys have all the hazing out of their system...
ZOEY: Hazing?

That's right, he's a cop.  *Inner eye-roll*

TERRY: Yeah, they had to break me in at first.  I expected it.
ZOEY: Didn't Kelsey stick up for you?
TERRY: Are you kidding?  Kelsey was worse than the guys!  Hahaha!
*That big, adorable laugh...ahhh...damn it!  Shut up, self!*
ZOEY: Ha, yeah, that sounds like Kels...well..
*he's a cop who doesn't know your name...walk away*


TERRY: Ha...yeah...so...uh...I saw you reading...anything good?
Why is he trying to continue this awkwardness? *Sigh*

ZOEY: It's okay...a book about...
*Don't tell him it's a love story...shit...tell him something...*
ZOEY: um...it's a thriller...
TERRY: Oh really?  I love reading thrillers...what's it called?

DAMN IT ALL!  You idiot!  Of course he likes thrillers!  He's a cop for...shit, shit, shit!  The book is actually called Ariel's Desire, so absolutely not a thriller...well, it has vampires in it, but he's not going to know that...shit, shit, shit!

ZOEY: Um...it's called Ariel's...Curse...yeah...that's it...it kind of sucks.
TERRY: Oh, well, I'll know not to read that one then...I really like crime dramas...
*f-ing figures...he's a cop...*

TERRY:...haha, I guess that makes sense right?  I'm a cop...way to go, T, feed into the stereotype!  Hahahaha.

I laugh in spite of myself.  I can't help it.  Okay, so he's pretty funny for a cop that doesn't know my name.

TERRY: Hey, would you like to go have dinner with me?  I know it's short notice...

I sigh, hopefully not too audibly.  He's asking me out...but maybe just as friends...hell, he doesn't know my name.  Then of course if it's a date...man, I don't want to go on a date with a cop.  If it doesn't work out, I'm going to constantly worry that he's going to terrorize me...and there's nothing I can do to stop it.

Of course, my mom and Amy are always telling me to go out more...and he seems kind of cool...and that laugh...and that smile...there's something about them.

TERRY: ...I guess you're busy.  Maybe...
ZOEY: No, I can go.
TERRY: Really?  Great!


We end up going to the cafe in the city.  Heaven help me if he isn't freaking hilarious.  He likes football like I do, but he doesn't try to show off all his knowledge by quoting game stats or something.  He's full of stories from his old hometown, Butterfly Acres.

TERRY: ...so my buddy AJ has to haul me and the dog out of the pond!  Hahaha!
ZOEY: Oh shit!  Sounds like y'all were trouble.
TERRY: Just a bunch of guys having fun.  We all went separate ways when we graduated.

For some reason, that seems more endearing than it should.  I can't help but smile.

TERRY: You know, you're really beautiful.


My cheeks flush and I look down and back up at him.
TERRY: *chuckle* I'm sorry...there's that Shrinking Violet...
ZOEY: Huh?
TERRY: ...uh, yeah, sort of a nickname I made up...it's silly, but the first time I saw you, I thought about a shrinking violet...
ZOEY: So you just made up a nickname...for me?
TERRY: Yeah, why did you think I've been calling you Vi all night?



ZOEY: Um...because you didn't know my name...
He damn near falls over laughing...which makes me laugh....and we just about fall over right on the sidewalk.

TERRY: I couldn't forget you if I tried...
ZOEY: Oh...um...

As I think about what he is saying, I realize that I feel the same way.  Even though I have just met this man and we have only spent a short time together, at the end of the night if we leave and never see each other again, I don't think I could ever forget him.

TERRY: I'm sorry, I bet I sound like a creeper...
ZOEY: No!  Actually, I was just thinking the same thing about you...
TERRY: That I am a creeper?
ZOEY: No!  That I...couldn't...forget you.

He smiles...a tight-lipped smile that's different than his normal one...maybe a satisfied smile?
He reaches out and runs his hand down my arm...and into my hand...and it's so warm.

Wow, this night is turning out to be too good to be true...

TERRY: Zoey?
ZOEY: yeah?
TERRY: Would you let me kiss you?
ZOEY: Of course...



Our lips meet and my whole body is filled with this warmth that I have never felt before.

We go our separate ways and I am in a haze.  I know that there is no way it will possibly last...he will move on or there will be something completely wacko about him, but I will always remember tonight.

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Hehe, I loved this one too...I swear, this stuff writes itself sometimes. I'm pretty psyched for Zoey too...and I so bad want to reveal everything now, but I won't. LOL

      Delete
  2. yay zoey! and yay for moving out too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I was really excited about this post because I don't think I have featured either Kelsey or Zoey as main characters enough...so I'm happy they got some spotlight.

      Delete

Thanks for reading! Please tell me what you think by leaving a comment! It would make my day! Thanks!